Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Pre-Renaissance Art at the Allentown Art Museum

I'm not religious but there is something undeniably amazing about Christian art. I want to go to Rome so badly! If these modest little pieces mystify me so, I'm sure I'll be taken off my feet by the Vatican. It's not only the art but how OLD they are! It blows my mind.

Even if he is supposed to be JESUS, so many babies were painted during the Renaissance. I wonder what the total amount is.


Ugh, I'm revolted and delighted by the illogical proportions! And then some artists had amazing skill at creating prints; look at the pattern on their green clothing! THe worst part is that they don't know who painted it; this fabulous thing was made by an "Unknown Franconian Master." Poor guy.

And then there are those weird moments when there's the suggestion of something more sensual in these morbid works. This is amazing, though.


It's huge an amazing. Everyone's so solemn.

I do NOT like this painting because it looks like this artist was attempting to copy Raphael and failed. Simply not as good.

This, though, is beautiful. And perverse. I know it's allegorical, but what kind of person even ponders a rope of thorns around a baby's torso?!


If I could paint something so large, detailed, and slightly overwhelming, I will feel a bit more complete.









Poor Cornelis. Once he was this dashing man...and now he's dead. Another sick thing about portraiture of any medium.





It's so perverse! Beautiful, but the subject matter is insane!
Another Unknown Artist. At least that phrase is capitalized.

I could just imagine being some groveling, uneducated, religiously ardent Renaissance woman begging for...my crops to grow or something, looking into the face of this statue so long my eyes play tricks on me and he blinks. In my mind that's how religious art was treated.

No comments:

Post a Comment