Sunday, December 1, 2013

Images From Santiago Cohen's Ex-Vida Project

I took tons of pictures of this exhibit because I'm writing about it for a painting CEC. It was overwhelming. This artist aspired to paint 1,000 pictures depicting the story of his life over the course of seven years and ended up with 1,500. The ones in the Hunterdon Art Museum, where I saw this, are by far not all of them, but overall they were breathtaking and so inspirational! I wish I could commit to a project to such an extent. The amount of pieces made it have the impact of one enormous work. The artist is also an illustrator of children's books and cartoons; I think it's apparent but not abrasive because it's all so unified.
It was also mind-blowing because this artist put his LIFE into pictures, but of course this isn't all of it. And he put in such tender, random, amusing, miscellaneous details. It was very moving.







They were all just so colorful and lovely! I liked how in some pictures he made his skin blue and how his character always had bright red hair.




I hate when art is so campy and cute tears come to my eyes; I'm a very ashamed sucker for true romance stories.


















No comments:

Post a Comment