Monday, October 28, 2013

Domestic Art

Over the weekend I took many pictures in the beautiful house in which I've been a nanny for the past two years. The owners, Kim and Rathi, have exquisite taste in art, and I wonder if it will carry on to their daughter.

This picture has haunted me my entire life- it's the only one from my house I'm posting and was painted by my great Uncle George, who was an art professor at Temple University in the 1950s. I'm pretty sure he committed suicide and, as much as I hate such posthumous judgments on art, this kind of looks like a painting someone unhappy would make.
This picture and the rest were taken in the house of the people I babysit for. They have the most marvelous art! What I'm posting is not all, by far.


The woman whose child I watch, Kim, made this! This is of her daughter, Lyla. It's enormous and fabulous.

Kim also painted this; it's so serene. As you can see she's also in the process of painting the room as well.










Someone painted a portrait of the family; the colors delight me.

I painted this for Kim's last birthday! I could have been more creative but it was a nice OCD-pleasing project. I should have made a greater range of blues.



This is one of those pieces of art that make me ill when I think that people actually spent money on them and wonder if I should just pawn off my old sketchbooks for $100 a piece if this is considered legitimate art.

No comments:

Post a Comment